Posted on Leave a comment

More Progress

Well I have been painting the Type II rocket. It has been primed and the first coat of paint is applied. I need to sand a little bit in some places, then should finish up the next few coat’s by the end of the week.

Then I have to get ready for the special paint effects to be done next week.

One downside I found is there is some body error between the upper section and the lower. But it should not effect the flight it is more cosmetic.

On another note Copenhagen Suborbital recently launched their Sapphire rocket, which was actively guided. It was a success and they can move forward and adjust their systems to get ready to attempt a launch to space.

 

 

 

 

Posted on Leave a comment

Rocket Goodness!

Well everyone life is starting to straighten out. The good news is I started working on the Type II rocket again. All the holes have been drilled and the primer is on! Tomorrow I will start with the paint.

I still have to order a new parachute as I never did trust the old one. Plus kevlar card and the most importantly the nomex.

So things are going places!

Also below you can see Space X’s new Merlin 1d Engine!

Posted on Leave a comment

To My Readers

Well my wedding and Honeymoon is all over. Being back to work and still working out the logistics of marriage the housing/etc it will be a little bit before I can build rockets again.

Posted on Leave a comment

Falcon F9-R Engine Test

Well hello to all my readers, I have been really busy lately with my wedding this last week and I am currently on my honeymoon. I am typing from a hotel before I head to bed.

But I saw this video today and it really made my giggle like a little kid, the reliability of these engines still leave my stunned.

I am excited for the first launch of the F9-R, and am hoping for more test of the landing gear.

Posted on Leave a comment

Completed Av-Bay

Well fortunately I got out of work early yesterday, so I had the chance to get all the holes finished on the g10. Then fitted the Ravens and switch, and the most important part the wiring.

So I got everything setup, then turned the switch to turn it on and nothing. Charged the battery, then again nothing. I determined the problem to be the screws I was using as terminals. I do believe they are black oxide which prevents the proper connection.

So I switched around a few screws and got everything to power up today. Then getting the zip ties with the proper tension to hold onto the all threads is really tricky.

After all of that I slid everything into the coupler, and turned the switch with success! As you can see in the first picture both Ravens are blinking the proper LED’s and the one that does beep was working perfectly.

The only thing left to do is clean up the wiring a bit, get it organized. Then it is ready to fly.

Posted on Leave a comment

Av-Bay

Well before my wedding day comes around I have spent a little bit of time on the Av-Bay for the Type II rocket.

As you can see in the picture down below, I am fitting two Raven 3 altimeters, one switch and one battery.

Posted on Leave a comment

Type II

This friday will be a busy time, as I will be drilling all the holes I measured this last week.

I also plan on drilling the holes for the Sled for the AV-Bay. Then to wire the Av- Bay, with all of this done. I can then start the outside of the rocket, this includes sanding the previous clear coat on the bottom.

Getting it ready for Primer, and Paint.

I have a feeling the Primer and Paint will have to wait until after my marriage and honeymoon. Time is running out, and I have to shift my priorites to that.

Thanks for reading!

Posted on Leave a comment

Type II Under Construction

Well today I pulled out my calipers and rulers. Its time to get all the correct holes drilled.

I am very cautious with the altimeter port’s I really want them to be as close to the middle of the Av Bay as possible and the correct size. So I am measuring 3 times and going to drill once.

The lower half of the rocket already has holes for the shear pins, and I will need to drill holes for the Plastic rivets.

Posted on Leave a comment

Updates

As promised, I added a Technique section with the shock cord attachment I will be using for the Type II rocket.

Also this last week I had time to get the bulk plates and all threads all cut and together. I also cut out the sled for the two Raven 3’s I will be using.

This Friday I am hoping to get the screw switches in the mail to finish the Av Bay.