In between homework, I decided to do some work on the Type II rocket. I sanded down the transition from the upper section to the lower section, this can be seen in the first picture. I then began work on the retention system for the shock cord in the nosecone, that is not pictured just yet, as I am going to document all the steps for anyone else that is interested in that design.
As you can tell there is a trend in my posts, a lot of long videos to watch while working. This is a really great documentary, it is pretty long but really inspiring.
I am hoping to finally work on my rebuild designated Type II rocket this week, as my school work has diminshed. So hopefully I can start sanding and dry fitting some parts together. I plan on working on the transition from the upper section to the lower section. Also I will fully document the shock cord attachment for the nosecone, this idea that can be seen in the Blackhawk is rather simple but I do believe I am the pioneer of that method. Hopefully this method will be used in future minimum diameter builds not by me, but by others also.
Yesterday I was at work, and one benefit of my job is I can listen to music or anything I want while working. So I was bored with Pandora after 5 hours into my shift and started to look for some interesting videos about rocketry.
I found this and listened to it, and really learned a lot about hybrid motors. I do not plan on flying any in the near future, but it still helped me learn about rocket motors in general and I did learn about some physics principals.
If no one has seen this, its amazing how reliable the Falcon 9 is! One of the engines had a reading of overpressure in one of the engines, so it blow out a safety mechanism on the side to release pressure.
The engine it self did not fail despite what the video says, the rocket continued into orbit. It did not reach its intended target for satellite departure. But still rather impressive.
I do apologize for the lack of posts recently. Life has taken over as I am planning a wedding and starting a new position at work.
So the lower section of the Blackhawk did remain intact, but the upper section including the nosecone is unusable. So I order some tubing and a nosecone as can be seen in my teaser post.
But one thing that I did not take into account, was the fact that the original Blackhawk tubing has a smaller diameter then the new tubing. I am going to sand down the edge where they meet to hopefully provide a transition. It will be more aesthetic then anything but will cost me a few hours of work.
I am also excited to show you the paint design for this. I worked with Mark from Stickershock and got a checkered mask, I am debating what color to pain the rocket either fluorescent yellow/orange then the lower half will have a faded checker pattern.
Well I have been trying to post atleast one thing a day.
Today I am stumped, I cannot think about what is usefull to others. So really all I wanted to talk about today is the AV-Bay design for Type II.
It will hold my last Raven that is not capable of ejection charges or deployments anymore. But might be useable for data.
It will be flying in tandem with a new Raven I have purchased. Now I need to figure out how to fit two Ravens two batteries and two switches in a 38mm minimum diameter body. I have an idea I just need to find the time to dry fit it.
Pictures will be coming shortly, as I am getting ready for my wedding in 2 months. I am spending more time planning and preparing for that. So pictures will happen sometime 🙂