With my last L1 attempt failed.
I was thinking today that I need to make plans for L1 and L2. Right now I plan on using the Type II platform, with my L1 I am thinking of using the H120. This should bring the rocket to around 3600-3700 feet. About the limit I want to go on the current field I fly.
Level two is when it gets interesting, I am thinking towards the end of 2014 I will fly it on a J425 or the J354. The way I have it built currently, it can only take up to 6 grain cases. Plus with my L2 I wanted to break the 10,000 foot mark.
That is a huge jump from 3000-4000 feet all the way to 10,000. But I plan on running I’s and J’s in my Spitfire, that I will revamp with tracking and altimeters. To practice for my L2 attempt. This will be one huge endeavor, but I know I can do it.
After all I am trying dual deploy, on a minimum diameter rocket, for my L1. So why not?
Im excited to see if Orbital can perform well. I will be trying to watch it live on my lunch break.
Update: The launch was scrubbed due to the umbilical reaching the second stage unlatched prematurely.
As you can tell there is a trend in my posts, a lot of long videos to watch while working. This is a really great documentary, it is pretty long but really inspiring.
I am hoping to finally work on my rebuild designated Type II rocket this week, as my school work has diminshed. So hopefully I can start sanding and dry fitting some parts together. I plan on working on the transition from the upper section to the lower section. Also I will fully document the shock cord attachment for the nosecone, this idea that can be seen in the Blackhawk is rather simple but I do believe I am the pioneer of that method. Hopefully this method will be used in future minimum diameter builds not by me, but by others also.
Here is a video of Manny’s N3301 attempt. Not much to say besides it was a great effort and was almost there!
Keep up the great work.
Yesterday I was at work, and one benefit of my job is I can listen to music or anything I want while working. So I was bored with Pandora after 5 hours into my shift and started to look for some interesting videos about rocketry.
I found this and listened to it, and really learned a lot about hybrid motors. I do not plan on flying any in the near future, but it still helped me learn about rocket motors in general and I did learn about some physics principals.
If no one has seen this, its amazing how reliable the Falcon 9 is! One of the engines had a reading of overpressure in one of the engines, so it blow out a safety mechanism on the side to release pressure.
The engine it self did not fail despite what the video says, the rocket continued into orbit. It did not reach its intended target for satellite departure. But still rather impressive.
Go Space X!
So with my rebuild I want to select the right motor, I want to keep the flight under 4000′.
With my original Blackhawk the CTI H143 simulated to 3600′. So I am thinking around that impulse level, I just want something in maybe a red/blue/green colour.
I do apologize for the lack of posts recently. Life has taken over as I am planning a wedding and starting a new position at work.
So the lower section of the Blackhawk did remain intact, but the upper section including the nosecone is unusable. So I order some tubing and a nosecone as can be seen in my teaser post.
But one thing that I did not take into account, was the fact that the original Blackhawk tubing has a smaller diameter then the new tubing. I am going to sand down the edge where they meet to hopefully provide a transition. It will be more aesthetic then anything but will cost me a few hours of work.
I am also excited to show you the paint design for this. I worked with Mark from Stickershock and got a checkered mask, I am debating what color to pain the rocket either fluorescent yellow/orange then the lower half will have a faded checker pattern.
Thanks for reading
Well I have been trying to post atleast one thing a day.
Today I am stumped, I cannot think about what is usefull to others. So really all I wanted to talk about today is the AV-Bay design for Type II.
It will hold my last Raven that is not capable of ejection charges or deployments anymore. But might be useable for data.
It will be flying in tandem with a new Raven I have purchased. Now I need to figure out how to fit two Ravens two batteries and two switches in a 38mm minimum diameter body. I have an idea I just need to find the time to dry fit it.
Pictures will be coming shortly, as I am getting ready for my wedding in 2 months. I am spending more time planning and preparing for that. So pictures will happen sometime 🙂